The BIG FYI: Why Men Aren’t Feeling Our Box Braids (Not Even On Beyonce)

Posted by By Guerdley at 20 July, at 12 : 01 PM Print

The BIG FYI: Why Men Aren’t Feeling Our Box Braids (Not Even On Beyonce)

For the first time since her cowgirl hat and belly chain days, Beyonce’s opted back to braids and has given that lace front fortune of hers a well-deserved break. No, not exactly the cornrows she was squatting in the Say My Name vid, Bey’s joined the box braid bandwagon many women, including sister Solo have been rocking as of late. Unfortunately for Bey and many other women trying to celebrate the 90′s in peace (geesh), this look’s pretty disagreeable.

“Box braids are fine if you’re a 12-year-old
or a 60-year-old going on a Tom Joyner cruise, b. Just get your hair done. Braids speak lazy and they don’t look good. Bey is a beauty. She looks like her fans now… homely and what not. If she wants to show us something new… she should show us her real hair, a new cut. I don’t like braids on Solange either, but I kinda get it. She’s boho, she’s away from the spotlight and has in-between hair I’m sure and isn’t that cute so… Women will catch a fit if a dude has cornrows. The same should apply to them.”
—Chris Law, 29

“Beyonce’s new hair isn’t anything special to me. Rewind back to the 90′s or just go watch Poetic Justice to see Janet wearing the same style.” –Kyle, 25

“I hate them. In what world are dooky braids sexy? Some women like Janet and Beyonce look good in that look because they naturally look good –no help to the braids. Just like girls who cut their hair, a pretty girl can get away with it, but that doesn’t mean she should or that it like enhances her in anyway.” –Daniel, 21

“Na, that trend is wack. Can’t wait for it to be over. Not everything retro looks good. Last week I saw a girl in overalls, really? Cut it out. I get it. Some things are “fashionable” or “trendy” or whatever , but what about just keeping it smooth and sexy? Doesn’t that matter anymore?” –James, 27

“I haven’t seen any girl look good in it at all. Honestly, and when it’s trailing down to your butt all extra long and extravagant for no reason I think it’s ridiculous. Nothing’s better than natural hair. Even if it’s short and simple, that’s better than long, silly and fake.” –Greg, 22

“You talking bout the braided pull up joint? If we talking about the same thing then I’m not a fan. A grown woman should only have microbraids when going on vacation to a third world country where they don’t have hairdressers or when playing Janet Jackson in Poetic Justice.” –Devon, 28

And for every cloud there’s a silver lining…

I love it.  It is summer time and box braids are one of the key ways a woman can look presentable without a hassle.  Is done correctly, a beautiful woman can definitely pull off this look.

–Jerrell, 24

IDK maybe it’s just me, but I find it borderline oppressive for men to denounce convenient female fashion options like box braids and wedges! Unnecessarily passionate? Perhaps so, but I’m jus sayin… Seriously though, if you’re loving that look go for it.  As the homegirl @Trayhova so eloquently rashed recently, we aren’t here to peddle or pander to penile preference. Just recruiting some damn good answers to some damn good questions. Make of it what you will. However, if you’re jet setting to 125th street to box braid it up and generate some of that Beyonce appeal traffic, be prepared to turn more noses than actual heads. Word is bond.

Where you do stand? Pro or anti-dookie/box braid? Speak you piece @wwmdtv

Good times eh?

@_guerdley

HUNGRY FOR MORE BLOGS?

The Big FYI: Why Men Think Our Pucker Face Sucks

The Big FYI: Why So Many Darn Men Despise Our “Stiletto” Nails

The Big FYI: Why So Man Men Despise Our Wedges

Comments

Blog

26 Comments

1. [...] (Continue Reading @ WWMD…) linkwithin_text='Related Posts:' // Advertisement [...]

The BIG FYI: Why Men Aren’t Feeling Our Box Braids (Not Even On Beyonce) » VIBE Vixen, 2 years ago Reply

2. [...] or folks would slam the hairstyle as dated. The latter occurred among men, according to the site, What Would A Man Do. Author Guerdley Cajus took the time to compile six quotes from men who dislike box braids. Here [...]

WWMD Reports Men Aren’t Feeling Box Braids, Does It Matter? | Clutch Magazine, 2 years ago Reply

3. I doubt that these so-called quotes came from men in the first place. The phrasing sounds feminine. I'm not buying it.

xyzebra, 2 years ago Reply

• lol. they did my dear. Don't believe us? try doing a survey with your own guy friends. We doubt the answers will be different

WWMD -Chazeen, 2 years ago Reply

4. Braids speak lazy? Are you kidding me? They take HOURS to put in!

LMo, 2 years ago Reply

• haha… Agree

Alicia, 2 years ago Reply

5. [...] or folks would slam the hairstyle as dated. The latter occurred among men, according to the site What Would A Man Do. Author Guerdley Cajus took the time to compile six quotes from men who dislike box braids. Here [...]

» WWMD Reports Men Aren't Feeling Box Braids. Does It Matter … » Hair Styles For Hair ! Hairstyles for hair, 2 years ago Reply

6. [...] even af van haar lacewig. De foto van Beyonce met de vlechten, was voor de Amerikaanse website What Would A Men Do reden genoeg om een poll te houden. Want wat vinden mannen eigenlijk van vrouwen met zulke lange [...]

MyBlackHair - ‘Mannen vinden box braids lelijk’, 2 years ago Reply

7. I think its ridiculous. Ages ago braids were not ment to be 'beautiful', but they were put in hair because its simple, later is was becoming a trend. But they are beautiful, and they don't look beautiful on everyone, but the same goes for straight of curly hair. Braids are a good option for people like beyonce to give your hair , and especially afro hair a rest. Stupid men!!! BRAIDS ARE BETTER THAN LACE WIGS, WEAVE AND EXTENSIONS. Why dont they complain about how bad those are for natural hair. Look at pictures fron naomi campbell to janet jackson how bold they are because of LACEWIGS only to 'look good and sexy' foe the outside en for men. So rock those braids…

TMen dont shave their legs, belly, back etc neither, do they? So they have to shut up and talking about what sexy is… your hairy legs, and stinksocks, those are not sexy!!! greetz from the netherlands

Honeybee, 2 years ago Reply

8. Question, just how many of these men interviewed are legit straight? #justsayin

seriouslysusan, 2 years ago Reply

9. Braids definitely do not speak lazy. My friend has the same braids and it took her 2 long days to do it herself. I personally am not the biggest fan of the braids but a girl has the right to do as she pleases with her hair. One just needs to rock them right. Beyonce is gorgeous nonetheless.

Danielle, 2 years ago Reply

10. I think a pretty girl can get away with it but box braids are different so if you get them, just be confident. If you look good, a guy will like you either way. Its great that a female feels confident in her braids and I think it is beautiful that after Beyonce has become a mother, she cares less about wearing heels, wearing makeup, lace front, ect. She is inspiring!

India, 2 years ago Reply

11. [...] an article on the blog, What Would A Man Do, the author compiled a list of quotes from men on why women shouldn’t be quick to go grab [...]

Ladies, Does A Man’s Opinion About Your Hair Matter? |, 2 years ago Reply

12. I don't like the braids either! I believe Bey looks better without them but I think its great when women embrace 'different'. I won't be following this trend though.

Reina, 2 years ago Reply

13. These children's, errr, men's comments are laughable. Laziness? Beyonce? This woman works more than any other chick I have ever seen.

All this talk until someone asks one of them to pony up the cash every 2 weeks to "keep it smooth and sexy" as one commenter put it. Beyonce is married to a successful millionaire and would't fart in their direction braids or no.

Likewaterforchocolat, 2 years ago Reply

14. Oppressive absolutely! I bet these same men ain't volunteering no funds to get our hair did either. smh FOH

If you don't have the same amount of hair on your own head I ain't even trying to hear it!

sunshyne84, 2 years ago Reply

15. Woah, men don't like braids… therefore women should not wear them. If only that's the way the world worked. There will always be something wrong with one's appearance all you can do is love yourself.

courtney, 2 years ago Reply

• I WISH I COULD LIKE THIS COMMENT A MILLION TIMES!

ForbiddenFruit, 10 months ago Reply

16. It's hardly surprising for Black men to denigrate Black women for what they do with their hair, unfortunately. Typical ignorant bullshit. I would hope women make their hairstyling decisions based on what feels good for them, as opposed to what they think men will like.

Don't worry, 2 years ago Reply

17. Nope this is wrong. I have braids and I have never gotten more compliments on my hair, almost all exclusively from men! Don't listen to these men, ladies! Do what you want!

Zara, 2 years ago Reply

• Same for me!!!! I get complimented all the time! "You are a goddess" "Aphrodite" "I love your braids"… I get more compliments from men than women!

Adaorable, 10 months ago Reply

18. I honestly do not get why hair should matter if guys want to wear braids go ahead…or girls want to wear box braids that's cool too. Life shouldn't be lived based on other peoples standards of beauty. I say everybody should do them.

naderah brooks, 1 year ago Reply

19. Most braids, if done correctly, give you a pleasant look and they are definitely convenient. it does not speak lazy… it speaks time management for those who have to get up very early to get children ready for school, and get themselves ready for work. Men you need to stop being so critical and start appreciating a little more. The less time a woman has to spend on her own hair on a daily basis leaves more time to spend with you.

Cathy Smith, 1 year ago Reply

20. I dont understand what the problem is….it comes from africa and its a cultrual trait….I see alot of ppl who dont even brush thier head let along take 100-220 dollars to get braides…and half of yall dudes cant even afford it for yo girl….be proud about our african hair styles and STOP haten….dont get me started on whats wrong with men and half of these ppl who made a comment wasn't even old enought to remeber the early 90's braides cuz you probably was like 1or2 months old..lol get the fugg from around here…petty

tbird, 1 year ago Reply

21. I also wear my hair in long braids and i get compliments from men of all races. Men don't care about hair until you bring it up, otherwise they really don't have many opinions about those kinds of feminine things, as long as the whole package comes together, they don't even notice lol

Nyia, 1 year ago Reply

22. I am very happy with that stuff and i hope in future you will keep update us.

Online Fashion, 9 months ago Reply